Saturday, January 17, 2009

Back to the Shorts

The quilt is done! At least all except for the binding, which I need to stitch down by hand and that's about 2/3 done and sitting on my favourite armchair waiting for me to get on with it next time I make myself a nice coffee.

So, back to the shorts!

Here they are cut out:
A few points about my traced pattern:
  • I've drawn in the grain line--that's the line that I have to place parallel to the selvedge of the fabric so the garment will hang nicely. It's important:)
  • I've copied and used the "notches" These are markings on the pattern--usually marked as a small V in the seam allowance--which show where pattern pieces line up with each other. You can have single V, double VV or even triple VVV markings so you don't get mixed up.
  • I usually cut my notches as a bit sticking out from the seam allowance, rather than cut out of the seam allowance. In other words, I give myself a tiny bit of extra fabric, rather than snipping a bit of fabric out. I do that because I have a habit of missing notches when I cut out and I like to have them there when I'm sewing--so if they're sticking out of the pattern cutting line I'm less likely to miss them. Theoretically though, some people say that snipping notches out of the seam allowance will weaken the seam line.

I've also written all over the pattern pieces

  • The name and number of the commercial pattern I've traced it from. That way it's easy to refer back to the original if there are any mix ups.
  • The size I've traced--remember there were 7 sizes in this one pattern.
  • The number of the pattern piece--I've used pieces 14 & 15 from the 16 different pieces in the pattern envelope. In this case it's pretty obvious because they're the only two main pattern pieces for the pants, but this pattern has 4 different styles of tops in the one envelope, so it could be easy to get mixed up with some of those. I just do this as a habit so I don't forget it the one time when it's really important.
  • There's also a personal note that reminds me what I've done with this pattern piece. "A PJ's Jan '09 and Blog" That's because I do a fair bit of sewing for myself and a few friends. If these PJ pants turn out OK I can predict that A might say to me "Could you make me another pair of PJ pants like the ones you made for the blog last January?" So the info is right there where I need it.
  • I would also have made a note of any alterations from the original pattern. There aren't any in this case as it's a first try and I'm hoping it will be pretty well right as is.

No comments: