Friday, November 28, 2008

My Sewing Machine



The sewing machine I use for most of my work is an old Elna. A Contessa 450 to be exact. I bought it from a garage sale for $20! OK, so I've spent a lot more than that maintaining it over the years, but a newer machine would need at least as much maintenance. I like the fact that it's a solid old thing. It's mechanism is simple enough that I have at least a begin to understand how it works. I recently found a sewing machine mechanic who likes and admires these old machines and now it just purrs along. It has more stitches than I'm ever likely to use.


As for stitches I regularly use my straight stitch--for just about everything. The reverse option is for securing the ends of seams. That's very handy, but not essential. You can tie them off instead. I also use the zig-zag stitch a bit. That's about it really.

My first sewing machine--I still LOVE it--is an old old Singer. It has only one stitch: straight, forward. That's it! It's a perfect little stitch and it stitches through anything. It would take a bit longer, but I could make most of my projects using only that machine.



What do I recommend as a sewing machine for a beginner. Well, something like what I've got, if you can get it . . . old and reliable. You might be able to borrow one from a friend. If you buy a new machine you'll be spending at least a couple of hundred dollars. I don't think the really cheap little machines that are sometime sold for under $100 are worth having.

The sewing machine manual is a must have. It will show you where the machine needs to be oiled and how to thread it up. It's worth getting the machine serviced before you use it.

If you want to have fun and get a good result sewing, make sure your machine is happy.

No comments: