Thursday, January 29, 2009

Skirt Report, Part 2

Yesterday's post was the first part of this "critical review" of the little flounce skirt. If the test is "I love it, then it passes with flying colours. Or, to be more precise, with swishing sequins!

Today I'm doing the "hold still and let me look at you" test.

Front view:
. . . not too bad, I can see it's pulling a bit around the hip area.

The side view tells a bit more of the story:

It's pulling up at the back. The back hem is raised and the fit in the seat area isn't good.

I'm looking for a very easy fix, since this is supposed to be a very simple little skirt pattern. For a start, E's definitely not letting go of this skirt. So any changes will be on a new skirt altogether. That means I can fiddle with the pattern and have another go at it.

The original skirt pattern used exactly the same pattern piece for the front and for the back. As you can see, that approximation wasn't good enough in this case. So, I"ll go for front and back pieces that are just a bit different.
  • - I'm going to leave the front as is.
  • - I'll try making the back piece a bit wider all round. I can achieve that by simply moving the centre-back fold line out a cm or so.
  • - That will mean that the skirt's a bit wider at the waist as well, which E doesn't need.
  • - The elastic at the waist will take in the excess and we should get a better look.

That's the simplest solution and that's what I'm going to try first.











No comments: