Sunday, January 18, 2009

Three Key Steps for Sewing Pants

Here are the three key steps in making any pair of pants:
1. Centre Front Seam:
The centre back seam is similar.
2. Side Seams:





3. Inside leg seam:

Here's an extra tip for the inside leg or crotch seam:
  • remember the notches are there to show where seams are supposed to match . . . here's how it looks when I match the centre front & centre back seams--thats's the pin at the far left of the pic--and the notches on the inner leg seams--that's where my fingers are holding.

  • There's a bit too much fabric in one part of the seam. It is supposed to be there. The pattern instruction says something like "stretch back to fit".
  • So I match up the points that I know must match and make the rest line up.
  • I couldn't have done that without the notches!

Now I've got something that looks like a pair of pants:Still to do:

  • casing
  • hems
  • elastic
  • topstitching

and the job's done.













No comments: