Monday, January 19, 2009

Yes, but Why?

The shorts are finished! They will be hand delivered to A when I travel to QLd later this week.

As I put the last few stitches in them this morning I was thinking about why I sew like this. At the risk of sounding just a little too slick, I will give three points:
  • Fun
  • Fit
  • Features
  1. Fun--I just like sewing. I was the girl who at age 12 asked for a toy sewing machine that really worked, and got my beloved old Singer instead. It's been really working for me ever since.

  2. Fit--Ready made clothes are made to fit some hypothetical ideal, standard-shaped female. I'm no standard female in any respect and my shape is far from ideal. In fact I am still to meet an "ideal, standard-shaped female". Sewing allows me to make adjustments to cope with my reality . . . a bit wider here, a bit shorter there . . .

  3. Features--I can pick and choose my features when I sew. The shorts I've just finished for A are a good example. She wanted loose-fitting, hipster PJ pants in a light cotton. There probably would be a pair like that in the shops that would fit her. But she likes her summer PJ pants knee length and she loves blue stars. Sewing it myself, it was easy to work in those features. And that's just in a really simple garment.

No comments: