Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Ah Ha!

I was just heading for bed, thinking over the fact that I've set myself up with two blogs, and the pro's and con's of that. I was thinking over the way this blog swings between quilting and dressmaking, while my other blog feels pretty steady despite all my other textile adventures--varied as they may be. It doesn't seem to worry me if it's spinning, weaving, dyeing, knitting or whatever on any given day. But for this blog I ask myself, is it ok to swing between two such different types of sewing . . . ?

Anyway, then the "ah ha" bit came in, because I realised that I do nearly all my sewing in this room--the sewing room, I call it--ah ha! Most of my other textile work is done in my big living space. And yes, in my big living space there's room for two looms, a spinning wheel, an armchair for knitting and crochet, a table for designing, a kitchen area for dyeing--I do also occasionally prepare food there--and so on. In this room, if there's a quilt on the go, my other sewing just has to stay in its box. And at the moment there are three quilts on the go. So, at least that's making a bit more sense to me. It seems as though I've lined up my blogs with my work patterns and the geography of my house.

I guess the next question is, how does it go for the reader with those different types of sewing popping up at different times?

2 comments:

Dee said...

i see it as your journal of your activities with your sewing machine and letting us in on what is happening for you at the moment. with that in mind, it really doesn't matter whether it is quilting or other sewing that is on your table. i realise you started it to show a few some sewing tips, sewing is a very diverse field.
you could start a third blog nad separate your sewing into quilting and general sewing. :) that would allow simpler access to the archinves when looking up general sewing tips.
i will read whatever you do and get my daily smiles... not that that is all that helpful to you.

Chiara Z said...

Thanks for that . . . I don't think I could manage a third blog and I don't know to what extent any of my prospective beginner sewing people are following along--that's the funny thing with a blog: just putting it out there in to cyberspace, so it's good to get feedback.