Monday, March 9, 2009

Quilts on Speed

I've been a bit worried about my timetable for this quilt. I cut out the sashing for it last week, only to concede a few days later that it really wasn't what I wanted to use. So this week I needed to cut another set of sashing and get it sewn on ready for Wednesday's class.

Fortunately, I finally twigged last week that my rotary cutter was getting blunt. Like many things that gradually deteriorate, it had slipped my notice until it was a fair way gone. It took three attempts to buy a replacement blade--different brands are not interchangeable and one shop had sold out . . . that meant a couple of hours of frantic driving around on the afternoon before I had to teach, but today I used my new blade for the first time. Oh, the joy! It just zipped through the fabric and I had the sashing cut out in no time. Next step was pinning, and I've just done that while listening to my favourite breakfast radio. As for the stitching, I can just run these blocks through the machine one after another, pretty much without stopping for breath. That's as long as I pull the pins out before I come to them and keep everything facing the right way. So, I expect to be back on track by morning tea time. And V is coming for coffee. She's bringing a couple of quilts to show my beginner students.

Now I just need to implement my plan and keep a level head, so I don't crash into something unexpected at great speed.

No comments: