Friday, December 19, 2008

Fabric for the Skirt

I'm still waiting on some of the measurements for the demo skirt. I know the waist--high hip really--is 86 cm. And I know it's going to be a short skirt: finished length 33 cm. So I'll only need to buy about 80 cm of fabric. But which fabric? The pattern is designed for a plain weave fabric, so that's a definite, still there are lots of options . . .

Some things to think about
  • it's summer, so nothing too heavy
  • It's going to be slightly gathered into the waist by the elastic casing , so I don't want it to look too bulky there--something light would definitely be nice
  • my friend who is going to wear this skirt is no more into ironing than I am, so something that won't crush and wrinkle too easily--maybe a poly-cotton blend. If I use 100% cotton, maybe a crinkle cotton or cotton plisse--these are fabrics that have built in wrinkles or bumps, so they don't need ironing.
  • Blue is the colour of choice: is that a print or a plain blue? I'll have to ask. If it's a print, it will have to be a small print, because the whole skirt is so small.

. . . watch this space . . .

No comments: