Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Wrong Side-Right Side

I'm still playing with the idea of adding length to a third demo skirt. So I've been looking through my bits and pieces of fabric to find something I can use. I came across a largish piece of gold jersey with gold sequins on it . . . don't ask how it came to be there! I think it would make a great flounce on the bottom of a hardly there little denim skirt.

Next decision, do I use the obvious dark denim as the "right side" for this skirt, or will I use what is technically the "wrong side"?

Denim is one of those fabrics that has an obvious right and wrong side, since indigo, the dye used for the characteristic denim colour, is a surface dye. So it behaves almost like a printed fabric where the colour has been applied to one side of the fabric only. So what?! A friend of mine who taught me sewing always says, "The right side is the side of the fabric which you want to put on the outside of your garment".



In this case I'm thinking of putting the lighter side on the outside of the skirt, because I think it matches better with the lighter gold of the sequinned material. Unfortunately the shine of the lurex in the denim doesnt' show up very well in the pic, but believe me, it's there!

No comments: