Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Matching Thread

My sewing room is still out of action, though I do now have the part I need to put it all together . . . watch this space!


When buying thread you have to decide on a colour. Usually I want a colour to match--rather than contrast--with the fabric. The point is that I don't really want my stitching to be obvious most of the time. I like to match colours by laying the thread on to a sample of the fabric and having a look. If in doubt, I squint at it so that the image becomes blurred. It's usually better to have a shade darker thread than fabric. Lighter thread is more obvious. Also you can err on the side of a bit grayer rather than brighter.


I buy the huge spools of thread in the coloursI use all the time: 500m, even 1000m of black; and then just get a 100m spool to match fabric for a particular project.

No comments: