Wednesday, February 11, 2009

2-Dimensions; 3-Dimensions

While I was supposed to be falling asleep last night at the end of a full day, I found myself trying to figure out which seams I'd have to leave open on the lined top so that I could turn it through without ending up in a big tangle. I think I've got it figured out, and I'll soon find out when I get that far on this project, but it reminded me of the fact that sewing clothes is really like doing a big 3-D puzzle. It's all about taking something flat and turning it into something that will cover a solid object--the human body.
  • * making the skirts, I took two flat pieces of fabric--almost rectangles, give or take a bit of shaping--joined them at both sides, and hey presto I had a tube-shape, aka skirt.
  • * the shorts were a combination of three tube shapes. You could think of each leg as a tube made of two flat pieces of fabric. The upper part of the shorts is basically just like the skirt: a front piece and a back piece joined at the sides. Things got a bit fancier in the seaming department because the legs and body part of the shorts have to be continuous. So there was that origami trick of sewing the crotch seam.

  • * now for the top. It's a more complicated shape again. If I really simplify the main body part, I could think of it as a tube--with provision made for various bumps and curves. Then I need to allow for somewhere to put my arms through. And seams at the top to cover my shoulders. Here's one I prepared earlier:

Actually I just took it off the washing line. . . just for now, ignore the front shaping for the bust, and notice the side seam and shoulder seams--those are the basics. I've already gone through finishing off the curved edges--and we won't mention the word ironing!

No comments: