Sunday, February 22, 2009

Happy Birthday Charlie Cat

It was Charlie Cat's birthday a couple of weeks ago. I don't normally make gifts for cats' birthdays, but the combination of a gorgeous cheeky cat and a gorgeous cheeky fabric begged me to make an exception. Charlie Cat loves boxes and he loves comfort. His human is the owner of the original skirt with attitude from earlier posts. So all in all, I thought it was worth putting a bit of effort into this one. Here's a close up, which demonstrates how eye-smacking the fabric is, but also how I've made two flat pieces of fabric into a 3-D cover for a cardboard box:
  1. I cut two squares of fabric. With right sides together I stitched around three sides of the square. That gave me two vertical seams, like the one you can see in this pic, plus a horizontal seam, which is hidden along middle of the bottom of the box. Basically like a flat bag.
  2. The tricky bit is the seam you can see at the bottom of the pic--it was made by folding in a double triangle of fabric at right angles to the other seams. This fold brought the side seam and bottom seam together. It's another origami trick. The seam was stitched along the base of the triangle.
  3. When I folded the triangle down into the base of the bag, I got a three-dimensional shape which encloses the cardboard box.
  4. I made the "bag" twice the height of the box, so the excess folds down to line the inside of the box.
  5. Then I made a cushion out of the same fabric to fill in the bottom of the box and make it comfy.
I think this is going to be a one-off, but it was fun. Now I'm looking forward to hearing how the recipients--both feline and human--like it.

No comments: