Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Overlocker Pros and Cons

I'll admit it, I do love my overlocker. I've had it for four or five years now and it certainly makes life easier, especially when I'm doing lots of sewing.

Advantages. . . as I hinted in my last post when I whipped up the double flounce skirt in a couple of hours
  • * It stitches a double row of straignt stitch and a neat raw edge finish all in one go
  • * what's more it trims the fabric to match the overlocked edge, so there are no raw edges visible at all
  • * more importantly, the straight stitching line is stretchy, so when sewing stretch fabrics the seam moves with the fabric--the alternative on a regular sewing machine is sewing seams with a narrow zig-zag stitch instead of a straight stitch or stretching the fabric as you stitch.
  • * the rolled-hem function gives a nice narrow edge finish which I'm happy with as a visible feature on my garments. I'm lucky, my overlocker switches to rolled-hem by moving a couple of levers and a dial--older overlockers had to be re-threaded and adjusted to do rolled hems

. . . so, what's not to like?

Disadvantages . . . or why delay?

  • * It's another expensive appliance, and unlike sewing machines, I don't see a lot of second hand overlockers come up for sale
  • * It sews with four threads (the number of threads is variable, but mine has four)--that means four lots of threading up and four lots of tension adjustments. The threading and tension adjustments can be fiddly.
  • * It's another set of skills to learn

. . . so, not really disadvantages, just good reasons to think first.

I fell in love with my friend D's overlocker when I was making up a bunch of stretch garments. I'd just been on the Great Victorian Bike Ride and had made a lot of my own bike knicks, jerseys etc on my regular sewing machine. Then I made a set of rash vests on D's overlocker. The contrast was amazing! I bought my overlocker a week after I got home from that trip! And I do use it a lot. I'd definitely recommend an overlocker if you're planning to do a lot of stretch sewing, but for regular sewing, it can be nice--very nice--but you really don't need it.

3 comments:

Dee said...

just try telling anyone who has ever used an overlocker that they don't really need it! .... :)
i wanna see the answers to that one. i suspect they may concede that it isn't essential in the food, clothing shelter kind of essential, but once tried, who would want to sew without one?
keep up the enjoyable blogging.

Brooke said...

I honestly don't think I could sew without my serger! I found mine second hand on ebay for $150... It's thirty years old but it runs great!

Chiara Z said...

Yeah, I know . . . I did feel like a bit of a hypocrite saying, "you don't need one" while happily using mine! But in my defence:) I did do all the projects on the blog before this skirt without using the overlocker and lots of people make heaps of great stuff and never touch an overlocker.