Thursday, February 5, 2009

Hand dyed Cotton

Here's a close up of the hand-dyed cotton I've incorporated in the top I'm making. It was a remnant of embroidedred cotton I'd picked up somewhere or other. I threw it into the dye pot one day when I was dyeing something else. Before I threw it in the dye pot I checked to see if the stitching thread was made of cotton as well as the background fabric. It was! So the emroidery thread has picked up colour, sometimes better than the background.

Just in case you're wondering, the irregular colouring is deliberate. I like a bit of randomness in my life and hand-dyed fabric is a nice safe way of getting a bit of randomness.

2 comments:

Dee said...

ooow now that looks yummy! that will make a great feature panel for your top. you will show us the final result - yes??

Dee said...

another thought... the fabric looks like it is reasonably substantial... left over bits would make nice little bags, we never seem to have enough of those little charmers for sunnies and all those little things we seem to cart with us and don't want damaged. only a slight hint ;)