Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Please! Can I Have Some More?

You would think I'd have learned by now, but that irresistable sense of frugality, determination, with perhaps a hint of creative genius, caught me out again.

There was fabric left over from the cotton voile skirt project. Now, this is where it gets tricky. There was a fair bit of fabric left over, but not a lot of fabric. And I thought it would be good to see if I could get a nice little singlet top out of that bit of fabric--or rather out of those bits of fabric, because of course it was lots of little bits rather than one big bit.

There's the trap!

Once I start trying, it's so hard to stop.

It would have been easier if the fabric hadn't been voile, because I needed double thicknesses for most of the panels. I also had a small piece of hand-dyed embroidered cotton fabric in a matching colour which I incorporated. So I tried and tried again and turned and contorted in my brain, until I came up with this layout: Both back panels are cut out of the teal voile left over from the skirt project. The front panels are cut from the hand-dyed fabric, but there wasn't quite enough to get the full length of the centre front panel, so I've added a bit of the voile, which I'm hoping will blend easily enough. I still have to work out how to get a second thickness out for the centre front, because I haven't got enough of the voile for that piece.

And yes I did put in a call to the fabric shop to see if they had just one metre or so of that fabric left! I tried not to sound too desperate, because of course this whole thing is a bonus. And no, they didn't have any more.

Moral of the story: I suggest you don't try this, unless you are a more patient person than I am, or very good at spacial orientation puzzles!

No comments: