Friday, February 27, 2009

Mixed Results

I finished the lined top yesterday and photographed it this morning--on my manequin which is obviously several sizes smaller than I am.

I ironed it yesterday, really, I did! But it spent the night scrunched up on a chair in my bedroom after I realised I couldn't really wear it.

The construction is fine.

  • * The lining all sits nicely.
  • * I even managed the crazy inside-out trick of sewing the outer shoulder seam from within a space only a few inches across, which was necessary to finish it all off with no raw edges visible
  • * and I've pretty much got the fit of these tops down pat, since I've made several of them recently. It fits a lot better on me than it does on the manequin.

I like the colour. And of course, the whole point of the exercise was that it would team up with the skirt I made myself a few weeks ago.

But . . . I made a significant tactical blunder, and as soon as I put it on to wear it yesterday and looked at myself in the mirror it was glaringly obvious. The lower front section of the top is several shades lighter than the upper front section. And the skirt is, of course, the same colour as the upper front section. Which leaves me with a big band of lighter colour right across my middle. At 5-foot 2 and a bit inches with a waist measurement of 114 cm and a DD or E cup bust fitting, I just can't afford to have a big band of lighter colour right across my middle!

So, I've been reminded of something I ought to have known: beware of colour placement! I can see how I made the mistake. I thought about the colour placement in terms of the top itself, and even though the hand-dyed fabric was lighter, I though I'd get away with it because it seemed to match pretty well, but I didn't think about what else I would be wearing with this top. There's no way I would wear a skirt or pants in as light a colour as the hand-dye. The only rescue I can think of at this stage is to throw the whole thing into a dye bath when I next have a suitable colour handy and see if I can get the colour more uniform. Of course, then it won't match the skirt, unless I throw that in the dye bath too.

2 comments:

Dee said...

oh no!! that is disappointing after all the work that you put into this top. :(
oh how many times have we all made a similar mistake with colour or pattern placement. is this where i confess an unfortunate placement when i was hand painting roses on a white top. the top and the roses turned out beautiful until i put it on to realise that i now sported two beautiful big roses exactly accros my breats!! as i was breastfeeding at the time it was like wearing a beacon pointing to my assets! i laughed and cried since even overdying it didn't save it and both top and hand-work were lost. oh well, live and learn, and learn and learn...
on another note,it sounds like a dye bath is the answer for this top as that fabric is too pretty to not enjoy. if it is toning with the original skirt, it may go with it?...
is my memory correct that the top started out as a bonus to use up left over fabric? from that perspetive, no matter what you turn it into ,it is still a bonus. :( --> :)

Chiara Z said...

Yeah, it was a bonus, and then it turned into a bit of a challenge with trying to get the fabric to go further, and then getting my head around the lining . . . I'll try to dye it in a toning colour, but I think I'll let it rest for a bit first.