Sunday, February 8, 2009

Fabric Choices

A while ago I listed, fun, fit and features as three good reasons to sew. Yesterday had me thinking about fabric choices, which I guess could go in under features.

I was thinking about fabric choices, and in particular fibre content--what the fabric is made of--because yesterday was the hottest February day on record here in Melbourne. It was in the mid-to-high-forties and that's HOT for any time of year. There were bushfires in many areas of country Victoria. It was not a good day.

All I really had to worry about, for myself, was how to keep reasonably cool. I chose light-weight cotton shorts and a top. Both made by me. For some reason I find it hard to find really light cotton clothing to buy here, despite the fact that we do get into the forties for at least several days each summer.

But of course with the smell of bush fires in the air and the news reports full of communities in danger, there were more important things to think about than just my personal comfort. Which reminded me that a woollen blanket is a great asset in a bushfire. Wool is naturally fire retardant. It is hard to burn. In fact one of the wool mills from which I buy spinning and knitting supplies also has Country Fire Authority recommended woollen fire blankets on their website.

As for cotton, it's a known hazard for children's PJ's and nighties--especially is they're loose fitting, and especially where there are heat sources around--because cotton is made of cellulose , which is the same as what wood and paper are made of. Cotton burns easily and it's hard to put out. So it's comfortable for hot weather, and dangerous near fire.

No comments: